Recovery from opiate addiction is possible. Some basic principles to getting help for opiate addiction are listed below.
- Stopping opioid use can cause withdrawal which will may require medical support. You and/or your child may not want to try and do this on your own.
- Detox is not treatment.
- Treatment quality varies. Ask questions before you choose a treatment provider.
- Medication has been shown to help people recover from opioid use disorders.
- No one approach to treatment works for everyone. There are many paths to recovery. Don’t give up if one approach doesn’t work.
- When people leave detox, treatment, or incarceration, they are at high risk of overdose. Recovery requires long-term support.
For a list of treatment providers in Virginia go to our Find Help page.